Thursday, September 20, 2012

Open Access Journals and More Stuff for Free


Many times I have received emails from friends and colleagues asking me to chase a paper (or too many!) for them. You would think that most of these requests come from people that do not belong to academia and therefore do not have access to ‘free’ library services. Surprisingly, many of these requests come from colleagues working in academia who have found out the hard way that their institutions could not afford the affiliation to an increasingly larger number of journals. Not good!

I think I am spoiled since my institution has managed so far to keep up with the cost associated with access to major publications and no so common ones as well. There have been very few occasions in which I have not been able to find something using the online library services and when that happens the main reason is that the material is not in digital format. Imagine! A trip to the library where paper copies of books and magazines reside!

Once upon a time there was something called: A Library, where real books lived and you could cut your fingers with something call paper!
If you are not as lucky as I am or if you do not reside in close proximity to a major university library then you will for sure have a bumpy or very expensive ride to obtain that paper. Online access to individual journal articles is expensive, editorial houses ask people for a $30 fee on average for each article. In my last paper I used 50 references so if I had to pay to get access to them the total cost would have been $1500. Truth is that we need to read more than 50 papers to gather the necessary references, some of the papers we read will be useful and many others will be useless but you still need to have access to the information.

It has been argued that editorial houses are taking unfair advantage of the whole system for a variety of reasons: 1) They do not finance the research or author’s salaries. Often times is the tax payer the one that finances researchers through organizations like the National Science Foundation (NSF) among others, 2) They do not write the papers and they provide very little editorial support (e.g.: graphic design, format, language editors, etc). They actually ask authors to do the heavy duty editing of electronic files so that it complies with THEIR publication standards, 3) They do not even pay a penny for the articles to be reviewed. The scientific editors and the reviewers are asked to perform these duties for FREE, and 4) Times have changed and their printing costs have decreased exponentially with the digital era. Let’s not forget that they do not share financial gains with authors or their institutions. Question: A $30 fee for a single article? Really?

This situation has triggered some outrage among scientists and professionals and there is a movement that is trying to promote the concept of ‘open access journals.’ These journals are created by a group of ad-hoc people that act as editors and gatekeepers of these ‘new’ publications. Then the submitted papers are sent out for review to the same reviewers that look after the papers from the big editorial houses (they slave for free anyways!). The final product is a peer-reviewed paper that is available for free to the wider community. Isn’t that perfect?....Not really!

Free? Not that fast!
Even though I think the movement is valid and we all should try to contribute with this modality, there are a few ‘minor’ details that authors and readers need to take into consideration before fully embarking into the ‘open access’ experience: 1) The majority of these publications are relatively young so what happens if the editors decide that they are not interested anymore on pursuing their tasks? What happens if no one else wants to replace them on their positions? How would you feel if your paper was published in Volume 1, Number 1 of the best free journal of the world and…also its last issue! How do we ensure continuity? 2) Big editorial houses have one thing that these initiatives do not have: Infrastructure! Assuming that the open access journal will last forever. Where are they going to store the data? Who is going to cover for the cost of backups that need to be store on proper servers? Do they have backups? Do they have the infrastructure and personnel to transfer formats once .pdf is not the thing to have? 3) Are the papers really peer-reviewed? How do you know that the editor of a given open access journal is actually sending the papers out for review? and 4) Are the journals indexed? Implying that once your work is published and others start to cite the paper you can track the citations. Very important stuff for academics! 

Don’t get me wrong. I am not an advocate of big editorial houses since I think they have developed a very greedy and abusive system, however, I spend a lot of time an effort on my publications. This is my livelihood, kind of my babies and I can’t let them loose so easily without knowing what is going to happen to them down the road. I cannot afford that risk at this stage on my career. That said, I think there are some partial solutions for this issue and I think academics play an important role in trying to implement them, here my two cents: 

1) Most editorial houses ask you to sign a ridiculous amount of paper work relinquishing copyright of your work so that they can publish it without the risk of future legal action. However, many of them also state on the same paper work that you are allowed to use your paper for educational purposes (including posting a link on your own research webpage). Conclusion: If every scientist or academic would take the time to publish only with editorial houses or organizations holding this policy AND if everyone of them would take the time to keep up with an updated publication list (with links) things would be a bit easier for that scientist in Brasil trying to access a paper on how to prevent malaria in the 21st century! 

And 

2) I won’t mention which editorial houses I do not like BUT I’ll mention my three favorite ones: Geological Society of America (GSA), American Geophysical Union (AGU) and American Association of Petroleum Geologists (AAPG). These three organizations have the flexibility that I previously mentioned and I would be absolutely shocked if they dare suing an author for publishing their own work for educational purposes. Besides, these organizations are professional organizations, not mere editorial houses and a big chunk of their ‘profits’ go to support the community through conferences, meetings, grants for students and young researchers, etc. If I have to give my money to someone, I’ll give it to them!

I read and use open access journals and I am sure I’ll publish on those venues once the pressures of academic promotion are lifted off my shoulders. I just wish more senior scientists and professors would take the time and lead the effort to promote open access publications by publishing their own work in these venues. There are many open access journals out there but recently these two caught my eye so I hope you find them useful as well:

The Solid Earth – An Interactive Open Access Journal of the European Geosciences Union [Link]

Revista Mexicana de Ciencias Geologicas – Universidad Nacional Autonoma de Mexico [Link]

Even better than that, open access heaven here: Directory of Open Access Journals [Link]

Now that you will have access to all these wonderful papers you will need to properly store and classify them so maybe EndNote at $249.95 will do the job for you?! I don’t think so…

Go for ZOTERO!!! Zotero is a FREE, easy-to-use tool to help you collect, organize, cite, and share your research sources [Link]

Finally, my publication list that I promise I’ll keep up to date [here]

No comments:

Post a Comment